ZANOAH (za-nō'a, Heb. zānôah, rejected)
A town located in the lowlying hills of Judah (Josh.15.34). After the Babylonian captivity some Jews returned to lived there (Neh.11.30) and assisted in the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem (Neh.3.13). It has been identified with Khirbet Zanu and is situated ten miles (seventeen km.) west of Jerusalem.A town located in the mountains of Judah (Josh.15.56), ten or twelve miles (seventeen or twenty km.) SW of Hebron. It was built or rebuilt by Jekuthiel, who is called its “father” (1Chr.4.18). It is identified with Zenuta.
ZANOAH zə nō’ ə
). 1. A town in the Shephelah (q.v.) region allotted by Joshua to Judah (Josh 15:34
). After the Exile it was one of the centers where returning exiles settled (Neh 11:30
). When Nehemiah rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem, the men of Zanoah under the leadership of one Hanun were responsible for the Valley Gate
). The towns of Lachish (q.v.) and Azekah (q.v.) were nearby, and so the site should be identified with one of the many mounds in the same general area, e.g. Khirbet Zanu’ about three m. S-SE of Bethshemesh which preserves the name. It lies on a hill which is cut off to the E, W and N by valleys. Pottery remains point to occupation from the days of the kings through to Arab. times. Only excavation would indicate earlier occupation.
2. A town in the hill country of Judah (Josh 15:55-57; cf. 1 Chron 4:18), possibly Khirbet Zanuta eleven m. SW of Hebron, or more likely in Khirbet Beit Amra in the Wadi Abu Zenah about a mile NW of Yatta [Juttah] (Josh 15:55). Surface pottery on both sites suggests late occupation, although there may well be earlier occupation.
F. M. Abel, Géographie de la Palestine (1938), 489; W. F. Albright, “Topographical Researches in Judaea,” BASOR, 18 (1925), 10, 11.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(zanoach; Codex Vaticanus Tano; Codex Alexandrinus Zano):
(1) A town in the Judean Shephelah, grouped with Eshtaol, Zorah and Ashnah (Jos 15:34). The Jews reoccupied the place after the exile (Ne 11:30). Here it is named between Jarmuth and Adullam. The inhabitants assisted in rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, repairing the valley gate (Ne 3:13). Eusebius (in Onomasticon) places it at Zanna, in the district of Eleutheropolis on the Jerusalem road. It is represented by the modern Zanu`a, about 10 miles North of Belt Jibrin (Eleutheropolis).
(2) (Codex Vaticanus Zakanaeim; Codex Alexandrinus Zano): A place in the mountains (Jos 15:56) of which Jekuthiel was the "father" or founder (1Ch 4:18). It may be identified with Zenuta, a ruined site on a hill about 12 miles South of Hebron.