ZABDI (zăb'dī, Heb. zavdî, he [God] has given)
Achan’s grandfather, from the tribe of Judah. His father’s name was Zerah (Josh.7.1, Josh.7.17 jb, kjv, mlb, mof, nasb, neb, rsv; Zimri niv).A son of Shimei from the tribe of Benjamin (1Chr.8.19).One of the officers of David listed as having charge of the wine cellars (1Chr.27.27). He is called “the Shiphmite.”One of the ancestors of Mattaniah, who aided in worship in the days of Nehemiah (Neh.11.17).
2. A Benjaminite, apparently descended from Ehud (1 Chron 8:6, 19).
3. One of David’s officers who had charge of the “produce of the vineyards for the wine cellars” (1 Chron 27:27). He is described as a Shiphmite.
4. A Levite descended from Asaph (Neh 11:17) whose descendant Matthaniah led the prayer of Thanksgiving when Jerusalem was repopulated in the days of Nehemiah. He is known as Zichri in 1 Chronicles through confusion of b (ב) and k (ך), and also of d (ך) and r (ר).
M. Noth, Die israelitischen Personennamen (1928), 38, 46, 47.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(zabhdi>, perhaps "(a) gift of Yahweh" or "my gift" = New Testament "Zebedee"):
(1) An ancestor of Achan (Jos 7:1,17,18). Some Septuagint manuscripts and 1Ch 2:6 have "Zimri" (zimri); "the confusion of the Hebrew letter beth (b) and the Hebrew letter mem (m) is phonetic; the confusion of the Hebrew letter daleth (d) and the Hebrew letter resh (r) is graphic" (Curtis, Chronicles, 86).
See Zimri, (3).
(2) A Benjamite, son of Shimei (1Ch 8:19), and possibly a descendant of Ehud (Curtis).
(3) "The Shiphmite," one of David’s officers who had charge of the wine-cellars (1Ch 27:27). The Septuagint’s Codex Vaticanus has Zachrei (probably Zichri).
(4) An ancestor of Mattaniah (Ne 11:17). Luc. and 1Ch 9:15 have "Zichri."
See ZICHRI, I, 2.