United Secession Church

Formed in Scotland in 1820, it was a union of the New Light segments from Burghers* and Anti- burghers, which latter groups were children of the 1733 Secession under Ebenezer Erskine* and his brother Ralph. Though traditional Secession discipline was to some extent retained in the new body, the practice of renewing the National Covenant* and the Solemn League and Covenant* was abandoned. The “United Secession Synod” comprised some 280 congregations. In 1847 it united with the Relief Church* to form the United Presbyterian Church.*