Loading...

Tell El Amarna

AMARNA, TELL EL (tĕll ĕl a-mar'na, the hill amarna). A name used to describe a mound of ruins in Egypt, halfway between Memphis and Luxor. It is the modern name for the ancient capital of Amenhotep IV (c. 1387-1366 b.c.). In a.d. 1887, a peasant woman, seeking the dust from ancient buildings with which to fertilize her garden, dug in the ruins of [[Tell El Amarna]]. She found some clay tablets, which she pulverized and took to her home. Finally an American missionary stationed at Luxor, Chauncey Murch, heard of this and notified some cuneiform scholars. After the site producing these tablets had been identified, it was excavated by Sir Flinders Petrie.