Tel Harsha

TEL HARSHA (tĕl har’sha, Heb. tēl-harshā’). A place in Babylonia. Returnees from here had difficulty proving they were Israelites (Ezra.2.59; Neh.7.61).


TEL-HARSHA tĕl här’ shə (תֵּ֣ל חַרְשָׁ֔א). Mentioned twice (Ezra 2:59; Neh 7:61) as Babylonian localities from which emerged returning Jewish exiles in the migrations back to Pal. The peculiarity of the contingents concerned was that they had lost, in their time of trouble, the evidence of their Jewish ancestry and lineage. In a proletarian group, without the aid of priest or Levite, it might not be difficult to lose the record or memory of a vital genealogy.

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

In Ezr 2:59; Ne 7:61 (the King James Version in latter, "’Telharesha," tel-ha-re’sha, -har’e-sha), a Babylonian town or village from which Jews who could not show their lineage returned with Zerubbabel. The site is unknown. In 1 Esdras 5:36 it is called "Thelersas."