A name commonly given to the “Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer,” a community of priests and lay brothers, founded by Alphonsus Maria di Liguori* at Scala, Italy, in 1732 for mission work among the poor. It has steadfastly refused to engage in purely educational activities. Its purpose is the sanctification of members through the imitation of Christ and through preaching. The order received papal approval in 1749, and a community of nuns (the Redemptorines, also founded by Alphonsus) was approved in 1750. Under Clement Hofbauer* the Redemptorists moved across the Alps into N Europe, and they entered the USA in 1832 and England in 1843. They are governed by a “Rector Major” who holds office for life and resides in Rome.