Ramath Mizpah

RAMATH MIZPEH (rā'măth mĭz'pĕ, Heb. rāmath-mitspeh, the heights, or the watchtower). The northern boundary line of the tribe of Gad (Josh.13.26). It is probably the same place that marked the early sanctuary erected by Jacob and Laban as a witness (Gen.31.46-Gen.31.48). It has the triple names of Mizpeh, Galeed, and Jegar Sahadutha. Mizpeh implies the idea of watching, while the other two names convey the thought of a heap of stones set up as a witness between two contending parties. Probably Mizpeh is the same as Ramoth Gilead, so famous in the subsequent history of Israel.


RAMATH-MIZPEH rā’ mĭth mĭz’ pə (רָמַ֥ת הַמִּצְפֶּ֖ה). A town assigned to the tribe of Gad in the division of Pal.; it is mentioned as being between Heshbon and Betonim (Josh 13:26).

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

(ramath ha-mitspeh; Codex Vaticanus Araboth kata ten Massepha, Codex Alexandrinus Ramoth kata ten Maspha: A place mentioned in Jos 13:26 in a statement of the boundary of Gad, between Heshbon and Betonim. It may possibly be identical with MIZPAH, (1).