ONO (ō'nō, Heb. ’ônô, strong). A town ascribed to Benjamin in 1Chr.8.12 because it was built by Shemed, a Benjamite, though it was in the territory originally assigned to the tribe of Dan. It lay in the plain, near the Valley of the Craftsmen (Neh.11.35) and was about six miles (ten km.) SE of Joppa. Many of its men returned from captivity with Zerubbabel (Ezra.2.33), and the town was later inhabited by men of Benjamin (Neh.11.35). Nehemiah refused an invitation to go there (Neh.6.2).
ONO ō’ nō
). A Benjamite town, rebuilt by Shemed, one of the sons of Elpaal (1 Chron 8:12
). To this town, and also Lod and Hadid, some 725 exiles returned from the Babylonian captivity (Ezra 2:33
; Neh 7:37
; 1 Esd 5:22
). Ono was located in a valley known as “the valley of craftsmen” (Neh 11:35
). Nehemiah 6:2
speaks of the villages in the plain of Ono. The site of the former Ono is now occupied by the place Kefr ’Ana, seven m. SE of Joppa. In Egyp. records, in the Karnak list of Thutmose III, Ono appears as ’Unu. In the Mishnah (’Arak
9:6), Ono is described as a walled city since the days of Joshua. In the Mishnah, in Gittin 6:7 and Arachin, Ono also is mentioned.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
A town mentioned along with Lod as fortified by certain Benjamites (1Ch 8:12). The Mishna (Arakhin ix.6) says that Joshua fortified it, but there is no such early notice of it in Scripture. It was occupied by Benjamites after the return from exile (Ezr 2:33; Ne 7:37; 11:35). In one of the villages in the plain of Ono, Sanballat and his friends vainly tried to inveigle Nehemiah into a conference (6:2). It is represented by the modern Kefr `Ana, which lies to the Northwest of Lydda. In 1 Esdras 5:22, the name appears as "Onus."