JUDGMENT HALL is the doubtful KJV rendering of the Gr. πραιτώριον, G4550, in
One of Solomon’s buildings was called “the Hall of Judgment” (KJV porch of judgment; Heb. אֻלָ֥ם הַמִּשְׁפָּ֖ט or “Hall of the Throne”
Arndt, 704; E. M. Blaiklock, “Praetorium,” NBD, 1018; F. D. Gealy, “Praetorium,” IDB, III, 856; C. Kopp, The Holy Places of the Gospels (1963), 354, 366-373.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
hol (to praitorion, "Then led they Jesus .... unto the hall of judgment .... and they themselves went not into the judgment hall" (
"Judgment hall" is one of the ways in which the King James Version translates praitorion, which it elsewhere renders "Praetorium" (
The word originally meant the headquarters in the Roman camp, the space where the general’s tent stood, with the camp altar; the tent of the commander-in-chief. It next came to mean the military council, meeting in the general’s tent. Then it came to be applied to the palace in which the Roman governor or procurator of a province resided. In Jerusalem it was the magnificent palace which Herod the Great had built for himself, and which the Roman procurators seem to have occupied when they came from Caesarea to Jerusalem to transact public business.