JERICHO (jĕr'ĭ-kō, Heb. yerēhô, yerîhô, Gr. Ierichō, moon city).
I. The Site. Jericho, also called the City of Palms (
There are three Jerichos. The OT city was situated on a mound now called Tell es-Sultan, a mile NW of the modern town. NT Jericho is on a higher elevation nearby. Modern Jericho, called Er Riha by the Arabs, has a population of about ten thousand people of very mixed racial descent.
Jericho is probably the oldest city in the world. Its strategic site by a ford of the Jordan controlled the ancient trade routes from the East. After crossing the river these branched out, one going toward Bethel and Shechem in the north, another westward to Jerusalem, and a third to Hebron in the south. Thus Jericho controlled the access to the hill country of Palestine from Transjordan.
II. Jericho in the Bible. Jericho first entered the biblical record when it was captured by Joshua and the invading Hebrews as the opening wedge of their campaign to take Canaan (
In the time of Christ, Jericho was an important place yielding a large revenue to the royal family. Since the road from the fords of the Jordan to Jerusalem passed through it, it became a stopping place for Galilean pilgrims to Jerusalem, who came south through Perea to avoid defilement by contact with Samaritans. Thus Jesus passed through it on a number of occasions. Nearby are the supposed sites of his baptism (in the Jordan) and his temptation (the hill Quarantania, west of the city). Near the city Jesus healed Bartimaeus (
III. The Archaeology of Jericho. During the past fifty years there have been a number of excavations of Tell es-Sultan, OT Jericho. Between 1908 and 1910, the German scholars Sellin and Watzinger excavated there. A very important expedition, led by the British archaeologist John Garstang dug there from 1930 to 1936. The latest attempt to uncover ancient Jericho’s secrets began in 1952, when the British School of Archaeology and the American School of Oriental Research in Jerusalem, under the leadership of Dr. Kathleen Kenyon, excavated the tell. At the end of the 1957 season, this work was suspended.
The earliest evidence of settlement on this site is dated (by radiocarbon tests) to the seventh and sixth millennia b.c., when a prepottery Neolithic town was built there. A surprisingly strong city wall, mud-brick and stone houses, plastered floors with reed mats, and clay figurines of animals and the mother goddess show that the civilization was not crude. Of special interest from this period are several human skulls with the features modeled in clay and with shells for eyes, used possibly for cultic purposes. This is one of the oldest cities known to man—having existed some five thousand years before Abraham!
Of greatest interest to the Bible student is the archaeological evidence bearing on the overthrow of the city in the days of Joshua. About this Late-Bronze-Age city there has been dispute ever since Garstang’s early excavations; and Kenyon’s reports, which scholars had hoped would solve the mystery, only accentuated the problem. Garstang believed that he had found ample evidence of Joshua’s destruction of the Late-Bronze-Age city, which he labeled “city D” and dated to the fifteenth century b.c. He found that this city had been surrounded by a double wall that encircled the summit of the mound, the inner wall twelve feet (four m.) thick, and the outer, six feet (two m.). These walls had been violently destroyed and had toppled down the slopes of the mound. Layers of ash and charcoal testified to the burning of the city by its captors, and great amounts of charred grain and other foodstuffs suggested the total destruction of which the Bible speaks. Not all of Garstang’s fellow archaeologists accepted his reconstructions, and the world of scholarship awaited Kenyon’s findings.
After seven seasons at Jericho, Kenyon reported that virtually nothing remains of the Jericho of the period of Joshua (1500-1200 b.c.). The mound has suffered such denudation that almost all remains later than the third millennium b.c. have disappeared. According to Kenyon, the two walls that Garstang connected with his “city D” should be dated about the third millennium, hundreds of years before the Exodus; only a bit of pottery and possibly one building remain from the Late Bronze Age. If there was once evidence of a great city of Jericho destroyed by Joshua, she believes that it has long since been eaten away by the elements. Much of the evidence on this subject that was written about prior to a.d. 1952—often written with the best intentions to “prove” the truth of the Bible—must now be reconsidered. A number of scholars now believe that the Jericho of Joshua’s day was little more than a fort.
It is unlikely that the problem of Jericho will ever be solved by further archaeological work. The many successive years of digging have left the tell in a mixed-up condition, and it may be that other cities mentioned in the conquest narrative in Joshua (e.g., Hazor) will now more readily yield their answers. In the meantime, the thoughtful Christian will not forget the mutability of scientific theories.
NT Jericho (Tulul Abu el-Alaiq) was dug by several excavators since 1868, the most recent of which were J. Kelso (1950), J. Pritchard (1951), and E. Netzer (1973-74). Herod the Great’s winter palace was found, containing a sunken garden, two large pools, a large Roman bath, two courtyards, a reception hall, and buildings with six private mikvehs (baptistries) dating to the second century b.c. Herod died here in 4 b.c. and was taken to Herodium for burial.
Bibliography: J. and J. B. E. Garstang, The Story of Jericho, 1948; K. M. Kenyon, Digging Up Jericho, 1957, and Archaeology in the Holy Land, 1960.——JBG
JERICHO jĕr’ ə kō (appears as יְרֵחֹ֑ו in the Pentateuch,
OT Jericho is today represented by a much eroded ovoid-shaped mound identified as Tell es-Sultan on the NW outskirts of the modern town. This tell is about ten m. NW of the mouth of the Dead Sea and about seventeen m. ENE of Jerusalem. Because the occupation of the site lasted many centuries, there has been built up a mound which rises some fifty ft. above bedrock. A modern road cuts into the E side of the Tell. Across the road from the Tell is the spring of Ain es-Sultan which explains the attraction of the site from the earliest times. It is this copious spring which waters the modern oasis.
Tell es-Sultan is about 400 yards long from N to S and covers about ten acres. NT or Herodian Jericho is located one m. W of the modern city in the ruins on both banks of the Wadi Qelt. This site is known as Tulu Abu el-Alayiq. The hills of Judea rise abruptly W of the two sites.
The history of Jericho goes back far beyond the time of Joshua. A Neolithic community settled by the perennial spring around the eighth millennium b.c. The inhabitants had not yet begun to manufacture pottery. It is possible that these food-gathering hunters may have constructed a shrine at the site. Early in the seventh millenium b.c. a town was built with a revetment wall, at least one tower, round houses and many of the attributes of civilization except that of a written language. This first urban phase of Jericho gave way to a later Neolithic phase which marked the beginning of pottery. The inhabitants were prob. semi-nomadic and did not build houses. They seem to have camped on the ruins in flimsy huts. In every way these occupants represent a retrogression from the life of the first occupants except that they began to make pottery.
In the Early Bronze Age, about 3000 b.c., Jericho again was occupied by a people who built up a settlement with defense walls and towers around the edge of the mound. These inhabitants did not establish an occupation which had a long history. In fact, from 3000 b.c. there was much building and rebuilding because of a variety of catastrophes which hit the community. Earthquake and fire ended some occupations and required from the new settlers major rebuilding activity. Sometimes existing foundations were used. On occasion a new foundation was constructed on the smoothed-over debris of the earlier occupations or the trench for the foundation was dug out of earlier occupation levels. Some of the building or repair work was required because wind and rain erosion had weakened or collapsed the existing wall or structure. In early archeological excavations these Early Bronze Age walls were dated to the time of Joshua. Frequent reference to this error still appears in lit. on Jericho.
Because of Jericho’s location, it was a point at which nomadic tribes entered the land W of the Jordan. Joshua’s instruction to the spies to “Go, view the land, especially Jericho” (
The Early Bronze Age occupation of Jericho was destroyed by nomadic invaders about 2300 b.c. These invaders have been identified by Miss Kenyon as Amorites. Jericho was not the only city destroyed in the Amorite invasion of Palestine and Syria. Excavations of Jericho tombs provide much of the information which gives an understanding of the wave of nomadic newcomers. In turn, a new inundation of immigrants hit Jericho and the Jordan area in the Middle Bronze Age, about 1900 b.c. These invaders were the Canaanites. Their culture has been found extending the full length of the Palestinian-Syrian coast in the second millennium b.c. Again the city of Jericho illuminates the statement in
About 1550 b.c. Jericho was violently destroyed. This was prob. the work of Egypt’s eighteenth dynasty as it expelled the Hyksos from the area. One of the benefits of a violent destruction is the preservation of archeological evidence under collapsed walls. Fire also hardens walls and preserves organic material in carbon form which then can be analyzed. Middle Bronze Age Jericho has been so preserved. The cobbled streets have been uncovered. The one-room shops opening out to the street have been preserved. A two-story house with living quarters on the first floor and a grain milling complex and storage facility was found. In both the tombs and the houses, the evidence supports the fact that the people of Jericho were not wealthy. This town was not a wealthy trade center, but rather a typical urban complex similar to many towns of that period.
After the 1550 b.c. destruction of Jericho, the only Late Bronze Age occupation verified by archeological evidence dates mainly between 1400 and 1350 b.c. There was a definite abandonment of the town between 1550 b.c. and 1400 b.c. Wash-layers cover the burned town and the burned material was gradually spread down the slope of the mound. Much of the material from the Middle Bronze Age city did not survive at all, but was scattered and destroyed by the power of the wind and the rains. The material that is preserved under the wash layers provides a distinct contrast with the Late Bronze Age material from the 1400 to 1350 b.c. occupation. Tomb material also supports this period of occupation.
From the 13th cent. b.c., the frequently accepted date of the Israelite conquest of Pal., virtually nothing is known about Jericho from either Garstang’s reports of his six seasons of archeological work on the site, or from Kenyon’s seven seasons. Unfortunately, when the highest site on the mound was excavated by the Austro-German archeologists in 1907-1909 there was a greater interest in architecture than in ceramic materials. The plans of those excavations show no house walls from the Late Bronze period, 1300-1200 b.c. Pere Vincent, noted French scholar, however, reported in his writings that sufficient pottery sherds were recovered from the period to demonstrate conclusively that there was a city on the site at that time.
The excavations carried out by John Garstang at Jericho from 1930 to 1936 bear upon the 13th cent. b.c. in the clearing of five tombs. These burial spots were constructed originally in the Middle Bronze Age but were reused for burial in the 13th cent. Nothing survived on the Tell from the city defenses of the period. There is no wall structure left for study which would relate to that which figures prominently in the OT record in the conquest of Pal. by Joshua and the Israelites. Archeology can offer little evidence of the conquest of Jericho in the 13th cent. because that period of the city’s history has been eroded by the winter’s storms and modern surface structures which have cut into the level.
The OT narrative of
Older students of the conquest assumed that the capture of Jericho was the most important factor in the conquest. Actually it was the crossing of the Jordan River at high flood which was of the greatest significance. All the evidence that can be gathered to date seems to imply that the Jericho of Joshua’s conquest was only a small city guarding the crossing of the Jordan.
The key city in Joshua’s conquest of Pal. is Hazor which was the largest city in all of Pal. and a major city in the Near E. Comparing the size of Hazor and Jericho, Jericho would be simply a small oasis town. Hazor, internationally known, grew to a great size because it was located strategically as an international trade center. The key emphasis on the conquest of Jericho in Scripture is that it was the first fruits of the conquest and completely dedicated to Yahweh.
Thedemonstrates the chaotic nature of the Early Iron Age in Pal. This is reflected in the fact that there are no substantial remains of the period at Jericho. While ’Ain es-Sultan is an ideal source of irrigation, the volume of the water demands a strong stable government for its efficient use. Jericho flourished when irrigation systems were developed and maintained.
A curse was placed on Jericho by Joshua (
In the time of Ahab, the 9th cent., Hiel of Bethel attempted to build a city at Jericho. The archeological evidence for this occupation is meager. The loss of Hiel’s eldest and youngest sons is interpreted as a fulfillment of a curse placed on the site by Joshua (
There is a little archeological evidence indicating that there was an occupation of Jer icho in the 7th cent. b.c. which would warrant the designation of a town. This town came to an end at the time of the Babylonian capture of Zedekiah, the last king of Judah, in the Plains of Jericho (
Herod the Great and his successors built a winter capital S of OT Jericho on both banks of the Wadi Qelt. The ruins of this site are known today as Tulul Abu el-Alayiq. Usually the winter climate at this site is warm and pleasant compared to the frequent damp and chilly winter days and nights in Jerusalem. The site for Herodian Jericho was determined by the constant ample supply of water in the Wadi Qelt at a point where the stream opens out onto the plain of the Jordan River. A small fortress had been erected on the site as a control point over a road from the Jordan Valley to Jerusalem. In the Maccabean Period Bacchides fortified Jericho (
Herod the Great apparently carried out a two-phased building program at Jericho. In the first phase, the construction was of cutstone similar to that used in other cities. In the second phase, a peculiar use of small uniform rectangular stones set in mortar characterized the construction. This opus reticulatum architectural feature noted by the archeologists in many walls is peculiar to Jericho in the whole of the Middle E. This feature has been discovered on the Tiber in the time of Augustus. It has also been uncovered at Pompeii. Apparently Herod was attracted to this unique form of construction on a visit to Rome.
Herodian Jericho was oriented toward the Qelt. This stream provided water for elaborate reflecting pools lined by fifty statuary niches which were in a sunken garden. At each end of the garden were several buildings. At the E end a grand stairway 150 ft. long rose to a prominent building looking down upon the garden and the stream. In the account of Josephus, reference is made to the burning of the palace and some other buildings at Jericho at the time of the death of Herod the Great. His son Archelaus restored the town.
Zacchaeus, as tax collector at Jericho (
NT Jericho was captured by Vespasian’s troops. There is no archeological evidence of a destruction of the city. From Jericho Vespasian sent his army seven m. S toand destroyed that sectarian site on the W shore of the Dead Sea. The fact that the Qumran sect abandoned the site while Herod was at Jericho raises unanswered questions about the relationship between Jericho and Qumran during that time. Upon Herod’s death Qumran was reoccupied by the followers of the Teacher of Righteousness.
After Titus destroyed Jerusalem in a.d. 70 sending the Tenth Legion from Jericho for the final assault, Jericho declined. There was a brief revival at the time of Bar-Cochba’s defiance of Rome in a.d. 132-135. The Bordeaux pilgrim reported the location of Jericho in a.d. 333 to be where Herod built. A Byzantine Jericho was built a m. or more E of Herodian Jericho. The present city is built on the Byzantine site.
J. L. Kelso, Excavations atJericho, AASOR, Vol. 29-30 (1955); K. Kenyon, Digging Up Jericho (1957); Excavations at Jericho (1960), V. 1, 2.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
The geological situation (see JORDAN VALLEY) sheds great light upon the capture of the city by Joshua (
See further PALESTINE EXPLORATION.