1655-1743. Episcopalian minister. Scottish-born, he graduated from Edinburgh in 1673 and was subsequently ordained. He ministered in Scotland and later worked in a London library until, at the request of the bishop of London, he went to Virginia. Here he served the Henrico parish from 1685 to 1694. After 1689, as the bishop's commissary, he secured better-trained ministers for the colony. From 1694 to 1710 he was pastor at Jamestown, and then until his death he served the Bruton parish church in Williamsburg. He obtained the charter for, and was the first president of, William and Mary College in 1693. He was also a member of the Virginia Council until his death.