Helkath

HELKATH (hĕl'kăth, Heb. helqath, a field). A town on the southern border of the tribe of Asher (Josh.19.25) that was given to the Gershonite Levites (Josh.21.31). It was later called Hukok (1Chr.6.75). The site is uncertain.


HELKATH hĕl’ kăth (חֶלְקַ֥ת). A place to mark the boundary of Asher (Josh 19:25). It was one of four cities of the tribe of Asher that were assigned to the Levite family of the Gershonites (21:31). In 1 Chronicles 6:75, a variant spelling “Hukok” is given. It is first mentioned in secular writing c. 15th cent. b.c. The site is prob. to be identified with Khirbet el-Harbaj, thirteen m. S of Accho and twenty-eight m. W of the S end of the Sea of Galilee.

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

(chelqath (Jos 19:25); chelqath (Jos 21:31); by a scribal error chuqoq (1Ch 6:75)): A town or district on the border of Asher, assigned to the Levites; unidentified.