HAZERIM hə zĭr’ ĭm. The KJV transliteration of the Heb. חֲצֵרִ֖ים, a place occupied by the Avims in Deuteronomy 2:23; but ASV and RSV replace by “villages.”
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
ha-ze’-rim, haz’-er-im (chatserim): Is rendered in the De 2:23) as the name of a place in the Southwest of Palestine, in which dwelt the Avvim, ancient inhabitants of the land. The word means "villages," and ought to be translated as in the (British and American). The sentence means that the Avvim dwelt in villages--not in fortified towns--before the coming of the Caphtorim, the Philistines, who destroyed them.