GEDEROTH (gĕ-dē'rŏth, Heb. gedhēroth, walls). A town named with Gederah and others as being “in the western foothills” of the area of the tribe of Judah (Josh.15.41).
GEDEROTH gĭ dĭr’ ŏth
, stone-walled sheep pens
). Associated with Beth-dagon and Makkedah in a list of towns SW of Jerusalem in the Shephelah (lowland hills; Josh 15:37-41
). If the lists of Joshua are accurately transmitted, Gederoth is distinct from Gederah (q.v.; Josh 15:36
). In the time of Ahaz, Gederoth was one of several towns occupied by the Philistines (2 Chron 28:18
). Its general location can be deduced from its associations in the list of Joshua. A “Kedron” known from the Maccabean Wars (1 Macc 15:39
; cf. also “Gedor” of 1 Macc 15:39
), which is itself identified with modern Qatra, is a suggested identification. Available evidence does not permit a firm identification.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
ged’-e-roth, ge-de’-roth (gedheroth): A town in the Shephelah of Judah, named with Kithlish, Beth-dagon, Naamah and Makkedah (Jos 15:41). It is mentioned along with Bethshemesh and Aijalon as taken by the Philistines in the reign of Ahaz (2Ch 28:18). It possibly corresponds with the "Kidron" of 1 Macc 15:39,41; 16:9. Eusebius, Onomasticon places a very large village named Gedrom 10 Roman miles from Lydda on the road to Eleutheropolis. This points to Katrah, Southeast of Yebnah.