GEBIM (gē'bĭm). A place near Anathoth and Nob, whose inhabitants fled at the approach of the Assyrian invaders (Isa.10.31).
GEBIM ge’ bĭm
). A village of Benjamin mentioned only in the poetic listing of the conquests of Assyria (Isa 10:31
). The term means lit. “pit,” “pits” and is located by the prophet between Madmenah and Nob; in fact Gebim is the “B” word with Madmenah as the “A” word. Neither location has ever been confidently identified. They prob. were locations outside of Jerusalem itself. Eusebius mentions a town Gr. Γηβα
, which he states is Biblical Gebim, the modern name of the place is Wādi el-ğīb by ğifnā (GTT p. 175, n. 158) and there is no evidence that Eusebius is in fact correct (Eusebius, Onomasticon
, P. de Lagarde ed. , p. 74, 1, 2).
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
A place named only in Isa 10:31. Some would place it at Jebia, identifying it with the Geba of Eusebius, 5 Roman miles from Gophna (modern Jifneh), on the way to Shechem. Its place, however, in the order of names, after Anathoth, seems to point to some position South of that village, to the Northeast of Jerusalem.