CHAIN(S). Several different words in the Bible are tr. thus, and the term is applied to a variety of different kinds of chain.
1. After the fall of Jerusalem in 586 b.c. Jeremiah among others, was bound in chains (Heb. אזק only in pl. אֲזִקִּים, H272,
In a shorter form זִקִּ֑ים has the same sense (
2. The term מַעֲדַנָּה (pl. מַעֲדַנּוֹת, H5051) refers to the “chains” which hold the constellation of the Pleiades together (
4. On a smaller scale the term רָבִיד, H8054, refers to a necklace or to a twisted circlet on the neck (
5. In the NT the term ἃλυσις, is used for chains of captives (
6. A general term for anything that binds or fastens, sometimes tr. “bonds” in the NT (Gr. δεσμός, G1301,