BETH TAPPUAH (bĕth' tăp'u-a, Heb. bêth tappûah, house of apples). A town in the hill country of Judah (Josh.15.53). Tappuah was a son of Hebron (1Chr.2.43). Now identified with Taffuh, five miles (eight km.) west of Hebron, surrounded by fruitful terraces.
BETH-TAPPUAH, BETH TAPPUA bĕth tăp’-yŏ ə
, house of apples
). A town in the hill country of Judah (Josh 15:53
). It is associated with Hebron and seven other cities of the hill country (cf. 1 Chron 2:43
). The site is generally identified with the modern village of Taffuh, four m. NW of Hebron. This district has been described as fruitful and rich, and this suggests the reason for the name given. It stands on the edge of a high ridge that overlooks fertile terraces below.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(beth-tappuach; Beththapphoue, "place of apples" (see however APPLE)); A town in the hill country of Judah (Jos 15:53), probably near Hebron (el Tappuah, 1Ch 2:43), possibly the same as Tephon (1 Macc 9:50). The village of Tuffuch, 3 1/2 miles Northwest of Hebron, is the probable site; it stands on the edge of a high ridge, surrounded by very fruitful gardens; an ancient highroad runs through the village, and there are many old cisterns and caves. (See PEF, III, 310, 379, Sh XXI. )