AIJALON (ā'ja-lōn, Heb. ’ayyālôn, place of gazelles)
A city of Dan (
AIJALON ā’ jə lŏn (אַיָּלֹֽון, LXX Αἰλών place of the deer). Also AJALON ăj’ ă lŏn. 1. A town on a hill overlooking the Valley of Aijalon between Jericho and the and known as Yalo in modern times. Some remains of the town from c. 2000 b.c. have been found at Tell el-Qoq’a. The town is mentioned in the 14th and 15th cent. b.c. Amarna letters as Aialuna (e.g. EA, no. 273).
2. A town in Zebulun, mentioned only in
HGHL (193125), passim; F. M. Abel, Geographie de la Palestine, II (1938), 241; GTT (1959), 205; Y. Aharoni, The Land of the Bible (1967), passim. On 2. see JPOS, IX (1929), 38ff.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(’ayyalon, "deerplace"; the
(2) A town in the tribe of Zebulun, site unknown, where Elon the judge was buried (