Studying the background and theological emphases of the Gospel of Mark helps us to understand the central message of his Gospel.
II. The Gospel of Matthew
A. Theological Emphases
1. Fulfillment of the Old Testament
a. Heavy use of term "fulfilled"
b. Frequent use of "it is written"
c. Numerous additional Old Testament quotations
2. Particular/Universal in Matthew
a. Jewish nature
b. Condemnation of the Jews
c. Universal concern
3. Concern for the Church
4. Christological Emphasis
5. Eschatological Emphasis
B. Audience of Matthew
1. Must have been Greek-speaking
2. Expects his readers to be familiar with Jewish customs
3. Uses Jewish phraseology
4. Substitution for the name of God
C. Authorship of Matthew
1. Tradition is consistent and unanimous
2. Was it originally written in Hebrew or Greek?