LIBNAH (lĭb'na, Heb. livnâh, whiteness)
LIBNAH lĭb’ nə (לִבְנָֽה, whiteness). 1. The location of one of the Israelite encampments in the wilderness. It is listed in the roster of sites recorded by Moses and is otherwise unknown (
2. A Canaanite city located in the Shephelah which was conquered by the Israelites under Joshua (
The most probable of the sites suggested for ancient Libnah seems to be the modern Tell es-Safi.
Archeological excavations at Tell es-Safi have yielded evidence of the Assyrian presence there. A limestone tablet depicting the launching of a ship and the accompanying ceremony of sacrifice was found at the site. It is evidently Assyrian and there is little doubt that it is to be dated in the reign of Sennacherib.
W. F. Albright, “Historical Geography of Palestine,” AASOR II-III (1921-1922), 12-17; F. M. Cross and G. E. Wright, “The Boundary and Province Lists of Judah,” JBL, LXXV (1956), 217, 218.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(libhnah "whiteness," "transparency," "pavement" (compare
(1) A desert camp of the Israelites between Rimmon-perez and Rissah (
See Wanderings of Israel.
The site of this important stronghold remains unknown. In the Eusebius, Onomasticon it is described, under the name Lobana or Lobna, as near Eleutheropolis (Beit Jebrin). All the indications point to a site in the Southwest of the Shephelah, not very far from Lachish. TheFund surveyors suggested (PEF, III, 259) the commanding site `Arak el Menshiyeh, or rather the white chalky mound 250 ft. high to the North of this village, and Stanley proposed Tell es Cafi. (Both these identifications are due to the interpretation of Libnah as meaning "whiteness.") In the PEFS (1897, Sh XX) Conder suggests a ruin called el Benawy, 10 miles Southeast of Lachish.