1601-1680. French missioner and pastor. Educated by the Jesuits in Caen, he became an Oratorian* in 1623. Appointed superior of the Caen congregation in 1639, his pastoral concern was demonstrated by the foundation of the Order of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge (1641), dedicated to rehabilitation of reformed prostitutes. In 1643 he left the Oratory to found the Congregation of Jesus and Mary (or Eudists). Despite their work as missioners and seminary teachers, the congregation never gained papal approval. Eudes was also an influential pioneer in devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Sacred Heart of Mary, to further which he wrote offices and devotional and theological works, and actively fostered lay confraternities. He was canonized in 1925.