Janoah

JANOAH (ja-nō'à)

A town of Naphtali captured by Assyria (2Kgs.15.29).A town on the boundary of Ephraim (Josh.16.6-Josh.16.7).


JANOAH jə nō’ ə (֠יָנוֹחַ). KJV JANOHAH (Josh 16:6, 7). 1. A town on the E border of Ephraim, KJV JANOHAH (Josh 16:6, 7); identified with Khirbet Yanun, c. seven m. SE of Shechem.

2. A town in the N of Naphtali, captured by Tiglath-pileser, king of Assyria (2 Kings 15:29). It must have been located between Abel-beth-maacah and Kedesh, perhaps at modern Yanuh.

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

(yanoach, "resting-place"):

(1) A place named on the eastern boundary of Ephraim (Jos 16:6 f; the King James Version "Janohah"). Eusebius, Onomasticon (s.v. "Jano") places it in Akrabattine, 12 Roman miles East of Neapolis (Nablus). This points definitely to Khirbet Yanun. On a hill near by, the Moslems show the Maqam of Neby Nun, the father of Joshua.

(2) A town in the uplands of Naphtali, mentioned as having been captured and depopulated by Tiglathpileser. It is named with Abel-beth-maacah and Kedesh (2Ki 15:29). It may be identical with Yanuch, a village about 6 miles East of Tyre.