CONDUIT (תְּעָלָה, H9498, channel, aqueduct). Tr. “watercourse” (
Jerusalem, like other fortified cities founded close to springs in Bronze and Iron Age Pal., had a system of channels and tunnels to supply water to its citizens (see Gezer; Gibeon; Lachish; Megiddo). The Jebusites had dug further into the hill on which Jerusalem stood to permit water from the spring Gihon (q.v.) to flow back into a storage pool. They could lower buckets down a forty ft. shaft (
When Sennacherib invaded Judah and the siege of Jerusalem seemed imminent, Hezekiah stopped up all the fountains outside the city wall, by which seem to be meant the apertures in the Shiloah conduit, and the
Later on, a fifteen m. long aqueduct was constructed, before the times of Herod the Great and Water.(for they repaired it), to bring water to the Temple from three great reservoirs S of Bethlehem. Sennacherib had built an aqueduct to supply water to Nineveh (q.v.) from a river above Jerwan, over thirty m. away. See also
J. Simons, Jerusalem in the OT (1952), 175-179; G. A. Barrois, “Siloam,” IDB (1962), IV, 352-355; M. Burrows, “Jerusalem,” IDB (1962), II, 849-851; R. W. Hamilton, “Water Works,” IDB (1962), IV, 811-816.