Book of Concord
1580. Also known as the Concordia, this contains the confessions or symbols of the Lutheran Church: the three ecumenical creeds-the Apostolic, Nicene, and Athanasian; the (1530) and its Apology (1531); the and the “Tract concerning the Power and Primacy of the Pope” (1537); 's Small and Large Catechisms (1529); and the Epitome and Thorough Declaration of the (1577). It supplanted the various corpora doctrinae among German Lutherans. Subscription to these confessions among Lutherans varies. Among some it is made quia (because) they are believed to be in conformity with Scripture; among others, quatenus insofar as they are.
Although Luther's Small Catechism (in 1548) and the Augsburg Confession and its Apology (in 1536 by Richard Taverner) were translated into English already in the sixteenth century, no English translation of the entireappeared before 1851, when one was issued in Virginia. H.E. Jacob's translation appeared in 1882. In 1921 the translation by F. Bente and W.H.T. Daw, known as the Triglot Concordia, was published in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1959 T.G. Tappert, with the assistance of A.C. Piepkorn, J.J. Pelikan, and R.H. Fischer, produced the Book of Concord (printed in Philadelphia). The texts in the original languages can best be found in Die Bekenntnissschriften der evangelisch-lutherischen Kirche (1952 ff.).