ASSIR (ăs'êr, captive)
Moses’ first cousin once removed (Exod.6.24).Great-grandson of no. 1 (1Chr.6.23).In 1Chr.3.17, the name of a son of Jeconiah (kjv) or a modifier of “Jehoiachin” (“the captive” niv).
ASSIR ăs’ ər
). 1. A Levite; son of Korah (Exod 6:24
; 1 Chron 6:22
2. A son of Ebiasaph and grandson of Assir; ancestor of Samuel (1 Chron 6:23).
3. According to the KJV, a son of Jeconiah (3:17), king of Judah. The RSV has instead of “Assir,” “the captive,” regarding the Heb. word as an adjective modifying Jeconiah. The Heb., however, has no definite article, but it might have been dropped.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
(1) A Levite of the family of Korah (Ex 6:24; 1Ch 6:22).
(2) A son of Ebiasaph and grandson of Assir. Samuel was descended from him (1Ch 6:23).
(3) A son of Jeconiah, king of Judah, according to the King James Version and the Revised Version, margin and the American Revised Version, margin. It is a question whether the Assir of this passage (1Ch 3:17) is not a common adjective modifying Jeconiah. The the American Standard Revised Version and the Revised Version (British and American) render it "the captive." It is to be noticed, however, that there is no definite article in the Hebrew.