Login to download lecture and curriculum
Thales and Anaximander were two philosophers in the sixth century BC that lived in Miletus.
A. Thales (624-546 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff (arche) is water.
2. All things are alive (or full of gods).
3. Explanation for magnetism
B. Anaximander (610-547 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff (arche) = "The Boundless" (apeiron)
2. Boundless is neither this nor that; neither here nor there.
3. First known evolutionist, life originated in sea
C. Anaximenes (585-528 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff is air.
2. First to add a principle of motion; condensation and rarefaction
D. Significance of Milesians
1. Scientific attitude
2. Asked good questions
3. Attempted to explain diversity by unity
5. Search for the arche of the universe