- Support BT
Login to download lecture and curriculum
Thales and Anaximander were two philosophers in the sixth century BC that lived in Miletus.
A. Thales (624-546 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff (arche) is water.
2. All things are alive (or full of gods).
3. Explanation for magnetism
B. Anaximander (610-547 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff (arche) = "The Boundless" (apeiron)
2. Boundless is neither this nor that; neither here nor there.
3. First known evolutionist, life originated in sea
C. Anaximenes (585-528 B.C.)
1. Basic stuff is air.
2. First to add a principle of motion; condensation and rarefaction
D. Significance of Milesians
1. Scientific attitude
2. Asked good questions
3. Attempted to explain diversity by unity
5. Search for the arche of the universe
Have you benefited from this class?
Please donate now
Would you help others do the same?
BiblicalTraining is a non-profit
and relies on its users for support.