The Person and Work of Jesus
The central theme of Christian theology, that which gives it its Christian character, is the coming of Jesus into the world as its Savior from sin. His coming is both a revelation of the character of God as holy love and also the supreme act of love by which God reconciles sinful people to himself.
1. Jesus Christ as God and Man (John 1:1-18; Philippians 2:5-11)
A. Deity of Jesus
B. Humanity of Jesus
2. The ministry of jesus (Mark 1:14-45; Luke 4:14-30)
A. Jesus came to proclaim the Kingship of God
B. Jesus was the Messiah
C. Jesus understood his task as the "Suffering Servant" (Isaiah 40-53)
D. Jesus saw his task as the "Deliverer"
E. Jesus is the "Revelation of God"
4. The need for the cross (Ephesians 2:1-16)
5. The cross shows us God’s love (1 John 4:7-12)
6. The cross as a sacrificial offering (Hebrews 9)
7. The cross as deliverance from sin (Revelation 5:1-14)