Lecture 1: Worship (Part 1)
Login to download lecture and curriculum
Worship consists of both revelation and response.
Key Aspects of Worship
I. Worship is something we do both individually and in community.
II. Worship is both habitual and intentional. What is more important?
A. Scripture Texts
1. Romans 12:1
2. Matthew 9:13
3. Hosea 6:6
4. Micah 6:8
B. Intentional acts should be the overflow of a lifestyle of worship (habitual).
1. Isaiah 1:10-18 -- Disconnect between habitual and intentional.
2. Amos 5:21-24
C. What does the Lord require of us? Micah 6:6-8
1. Love God (Deuteronomy 6:5) and love your neighbor (Leviticus 19:18).
2. "Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God."
a. Do justly, obedience (Love your neighbor.)
1 Samuel 15:22 -- Obedience is more important than sacrifice.
b. Love mercy (Love your neighbor.)
Hosea 6:6 -- Mercy (hesed) is more desirable than sacrifice.
c. Humble walk with God (Love God.)
Psalm 51:16-17 -- Humility is more important than sacrifice.
D. Both intentional and habitual is required (Matthew 23:23).
III. Worship always involves both revelation and response.
A. Isaiah 6:1-8
1. Revelation - Holiness of God -- High and Exalted / Pure and Undefiled
2. Response - "Woe is me!" -- Sinfulness of Man
3. Revelation - Mercy in action. God acts on behalf of the sinner.
4. Response - Humbly receives the mercy of God.
5. Revelation - Reveals his will
6. Response - "Here am I. Send me." -- Romans 12:1; Luke 1:38
B. Jesus as a buddy? -- Balance of Law and Gospel is required.
C. Key concept throughout Scripture.
1. Deuteronomy 6:4,5
2. Ten Commandments
3. Romans 12:1
4. John 4:24
5. 1 John 4:7-8
D. God is the subject and object of our worship.
E. Designing a worship experience
If you are enjoying this lecture, would you consider making a donation so others can learn from it as well?
BiblicalTraining is a non-profit and relies on its users for support.