Paul's First Missionary Journey - Part 2
The Jerusalem Council, Acts 15
Paul and Barnabas were faithful to preach the gospel, even though they faced opposition and physical persecution. As gentiles became disciples of Jesus, there was the question of whether or not they needed to follow Judaism in order to be a part of the early church. In the Jerusalem Council, the Apostles, Paul and Barnabas agreed on an answer to this question and gave Paul and Barnabas a letter they could take with them to churches in other cities.
I. MINISTRY IN ASIA MINOR, 13:13-14:28
A. Ministry in Antioch, 13:13-52
B. Ministry at Iconium, 14:1-7
1. Response to the gospel, 1-2
2. Ministry despite opposition, 3-4
3. Flight to Lystra, 5-7
C. Ministry at Lystra, 14:8-20
1. Healing of the lame man, 8-10
2. Case of mistaken identity, 11-13
3. Proclamation of the gospel, 14-18
4. Stoning of Paul, 19-20
D. Ministry at Derbe, 14:21
E. Return to Antioch, 14:22-28
1. Follow-up in Galatia, 22-23
2. Ministry at Perga, 24-25
3. Voyage to Antioch, 26
4. Report to the church, 27-28!
II. THE JERUSALEM COUNCIL
A. The Problem With the Judaizers, Acts 15:1-5
B. Debate over circumcision, 1-2
C. Delegation to Jerusalem, 3-4
D. The Issue, 5:1 Can Gentiles be saved as Gentiles Or must they become Jews first?
III. THE DISCUSSION OF THE COUNCIL, 15:6-21
A. Peter 6-11 Jews are saved by grace through faith. Doesn’t that apply to Gentiles?
B. Paul & Barnabas 12 - Remember what God is doing among the Gentiles.
C. James 13-21 - What God is doing today is in keeping with his plans for the future.
1. James Quotes Amos 9:11-12
2. What is the point? What God is doing today in blessing the Gentiles is in harmony with His program for the future.
a. James suggests minimal restrictions. Why were these necessary?
1. Meats offered to idols, Cor. 8:7-13, 10:7-28
2. Porneia, 1 Cor. 5:1
3. Things strangled, Lev. 17:10,14, 19:26
4. Blood, Lev. 17:10,14
b. What is the Old Testament background for these restrictions?
IV. THE DECISION OF THE COUNCIL, 15:22-35
A. The Letter of Clarification, 15:22-29
B. The Letter Delivered to Antioch, 15:30-31
C. The Ministry of Paul and Barnabas, 15:35
D. Lessons from the Jerusalem Council