Level 1: New Believer
These books will help a new follower of Jesus begin his or her spiritual journey. They do not assume you know anything about the Bible, and they answer the most fundamental questions people have. We have also found that for many people who have been Christians for some time, these books help establish their foundation of knowledge and belief. If you are asking these types of questions, then these books are for you:
- What is the Bible? What is the Old and New Testament?
- What is prayer and how do I do it?
- How does forgiveness work?
- I need to know more about who Jesus is and what he did.
- What about church? Do I need to go?
Level 2: Growing in Christ
These books are for people who have been followers of Christ for a while, have a basic understanding of the Bible, and are starting to ask questions that are different from those they asked when they began their journey. They ask these types of questions:
- How does the Old Testament fit with the New Testament?
- Where do I start reading?
- Not all my prayers are answered.
- What do I do about that?
- I am finding it difficult to forgive.
- Do I need to keep trying? How?
- Why is it important to see that Jesus was a human being?
- What do I learn from believing Jesus was also God?
- What does it mean to worship God?
Level 3: Church Leader
Have you moved into some leadership position that requires teaching? Are you finding that you need to go deeper in your Bible study in order to help feed the people in your area of influence? Or are you just wanting to go deeper in your Bible study? Are you asking these types of questions:
- Why does David call God's wrath down on his enemies?
- I thought we were to forgive?
- How can I encourage people to keep trusting God when their prayers are not being answered?
- My pain is so great I can't forgive.
- What do I do? How can Jesus be both God and human?
- How can God be three and yet one?
- How can I best glorify God when I am together with other believers?
Level 4: Pastor
Are you fully into Bible study? Do you enjoy working to learn? While not necessarily knowing Greek and Hebrew, are you comfortable with the author talking about the biblical languages? Are you a trained elder or pastor? Do you ask these types of questions:
- The Old Testament says God hates the sinner, and the New Testament says God loves the world. How do I hold both of these at the same time?
- How do my prayers move a sovereign God to act? Do they?
- How can I trust a God who claims to be good and yet allows genocide?
- How does the incarnation affect the doctrine of the atonement?
- Does the communion of the Trinity have any effect on the communion of saints?
- What does "church" look like? Since we are the church, in what sense do we "go" to church?
Level 5: Advanced Study
This category of books is more academic in nature. These books are for teachers in college and graduate schools, and for advanced seminary-level students and pastors.