NO (Heb. nō’ ’āmôn, the city of the god Amon). The great city and capital of Upper Egypt, lying on both sides of the Nile at the great semicircular curve of the river about 400 miles (667 km.) south of Cairo. Egypt’s capital as early as the eleventh century, its tremendous ruins at Luxor and Karnak are among the world’s wonders. Its fuller name was No Amon (Amon from a local god). KJV translates Nō’ ’āmôn in Jer.46.25 as “multitude of No,” but NIV has “Amon god of Thebes”; in Jer.46.25 KJV again translates ’āmôn by “multitude,” but NIV has “craftsmen.” In Nah.3.8, however, KJV translates Nō’ ’āmôn as “populace No”; NIV has simply “Thebes,” the name known to the classical writers. Its site is now occupied by small villages on both sides of the Nile.
NO. KJV form of Thebes.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)