More like this
JOHN (Gr. Iōannēs, from Heb. Yôhānān, Jehovah has been gracious)
1. Father of
2. A relative of Annas the high priest who took part with Annas, Caiaphas, Alexander, and other kindred of Annas in calling Peter and John to account for their preaching about Jesus (
JOHN (̓Ιωάννης, G2722, from Heb. Johanan, Yahweh has been gracious). Five men in the Apoc. bear this name, and five bear this name in the NT.
2. John the son of Zebedee and brother of James (see nodetitle).
3. John Mark, mentioned ten times in the NT, a cousin of Barnabas (
4. John, or Jonas; father of Andrew and Peter (
5. John, a kinsman of the high priest Annas, who, along with Annas, Caiaphas and Alexander participated in the cross-examination of Peter and John following the healing of the lame beggar at the Temple (
6. John, son of Simeon and father of Mattathias (
7. John or Joannan, surnamed Caddis, eldest son of Mattathias. He was “a captain of the people,” later captured by the people of Medeba and presumably executed by the “children of Jambri” (
8. John, son of Accos and father of Eupolemus (
9. John, surnamed Hyrcanus, a son of Simon and nephew of
10. John, who with Absalom was sent by Maccabeus on a mission to Lysias to arrange a treaty of peace (
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
The name of several persons mentioned in the Apocrypha:
(1) Father of Mattathias, grandfather of Judas Maccabeus and his brothers (1 Macc 2:1).
(2) Eldest son of Mattathias, surnamed GADDIS (which see).
(3) Father of Eupolemus, one of the envoys sent to Rome by Judas Maccabeus (1 Macc 8:17; 2 Macc 4:11).
(4) John Hyrcanus, "a valiant man," son of Simon, and nephew of Judas Maccabeus (1 Macc 13:53; 16:1).
(5) One of the envoys sent to treat with Lysias (2 Macc 11:17).
The name of 4 persons:
(1) JOHN THE BAPTIST (which see).
(2) The apostle, the son of Zebedee, and brother of James (see nodetitle).
(3) A relative of Annas the high priest, who sat in the Sanhedrin when Peter and John were tried (
(4) JOHN MARK (which see).
(5) Father of