1749-1825. First Anglican bishop of Quebec. He was educated at the Cathedral Grammar School in Norwich and at Caius College, Cambridge, and after being ordained in 1780 held several livings in England. Appointed bishop of the new diocese of Quebec in 1793, he quickly became the center of controversy, for he considered the Anglican Church to be the established church and held that the proceeds from the clergy reserves* were therefore at his disposal-which thinking was deeply resented by the other denominations. His jurisdiction extended over Upper and Lower Canada, and for over thirty years he faithfully administered his large diocese, traveling from one end to the other by sleigh, carriage, canoe, and foot.