HAZAZON TAMAR (hăz'a-zŏn tā'mēr, Hazazon of the palm trees). The ancient name of a town on the west coast of the Dead Sea, occupied in Abraham’s time by the Amorites (Gen.14.7) but conquered by the four great kings of the East. KJV has Hazezon-tamar.
HAZAZON-TAMAR hăz’ ə zŏn tā’ mər
, KJV has HAZEZON-TAMAR in Gen 14:7
; Hazazon of the palm trees
). A place inhabited by Amorites that was among the places, including the country of the Amalekites, conquered by Chedorlaomer and some kings who were with him after they had rebelled against him. In 2 Chronicles 20:2
it is identified with En-gedi, on the W side of the Dead Sea; where it is also said that a large army came against Jehoshaphat from Edom and were then in Hazazon-tamar (that is, En-gedi). Its location is uncertain, but it was apparently not far from Sodom and Gomorah. It could be the same as the Tamar fortified by Solomon (1 Kings 9:18
), which Ezekiel locates in the SE corner of Israel (47:19
). The Wadi Hasasa, NW of ’Ain-jidi, preserves the name. Several places have been suggested as the site.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
"Hazazon of the palm trees," mentioned (Ge 14:7) as a place of the Amorites, conquered, together with En-mishpat and the country of the Amalekites, by Chedorlaomer; in 2Ch 20:2 it is identified with EN-GEDI (which see); and if so, it must have been its older name. If this identification be accepted, then Hazazon may survive in the name Wady Husasah, Northwest of `Ain Jidy. Another suggestion, which certainly meets the needs of the narrative better, is that Hazazon-tamar is the Thamara of Eusebius, Onomasticon (85 3; 210 86), the Thamaro, of Ptol. xvi.3. The ruin Kurnub, 20 miles West-Southwest of the South end of the Dead Sea--on the road from Hebron to Elath--is supposed to mark this site.
chatsatson tamar, Ge 14:7
the King James Version
; chatstson tamar, 2Ch 20:2