GOMORRAH (gō-mŏr'ra, Heb. ‘ămōrâh, Gr. Gomorra, submersion). One of the five “cities of the plain” located in the a.d. 1924 by an archaeological expedition led by M. G. Kyle that placed it beneath the shallow waters of the Dead Sea south of the Lisan promontory.——BPDat the south end of the Dead Sea. Zoar alone escaped the destruction by fire from heaven in the time of Abraham and Lot. The district where the five cities were located was exceedingly productive and well-peopled, but today traces of the punitive catastrophe abound. There are great quantities of salt, with deposits of bitumen, sulphur, and niter on the shores of the Dead Sea. The location was long a contention, but it reportedly was established in
GOMORRAH gə môr’ ə (עֲמֹרָ֖ה, LXX, Γόμορρα, G1202; meaning unknown). A city located in the , prob. at the S of the Dead Sea.
Gomorrah is first mentioned as the S or E extent of the Canaanite territory (
The location of Gomorrah is unknown. There are theories that it was at either the N or S end of the Dead Sea. Both arguments have strengths; both have weaknesses, but the most accepted view is that Gomorrah and the other cities are sunken beneath the shallow waters of the Dead Sea S of the Lisan peninsula.
W. F. Albright, BASOR, 14 (1924), 5-7; AASOR VI (1924-1925), 58-62; F. G. Clapp, “The Site of Sodom and Gomorrah,” AJA (1936), 323-344; J. P. Harland, “Sodom and Gomorrah, The Location and Destruction of the,” BA, V (1941), 17-32; VI (1943), 41-54.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
One of the CITIES OF THE PLAIN (which see) destroyed by fire from heaven in the time of Abraham and Lot (
George Frederick Wright