GIMZO (gĭm'zō, place of lush sycamores). A town some three miles (five km.) SW of Lydda, off the Jerusalem highway, captured by Philistines during the reign of Ahaz (2Chr.28.18). Jimza is no doubt its modern location.
GIMZO gĭm’ zō
). One of several cities wrested from Ahaz by the Philistines (2 Chron 28:18
). These losses, combined with an Edomite invasion, caused Ahaz to appeal to Tiglath-pileser of Assyria for help (28:16
). Not mentioned elsewhere in Scripture, it is modern Jimzu, a few m. N of Gezer.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
A town of Judah on the border of the Philistine plain, captured by the Philistines in the days of Ahaz (2Ch 28:18). It is the modern Jimzu, a small mud village about 3 1/2 miles Southeast of Ludd (Lydda), on the old mule road from there to Jerusalem (Robinson, BR, II, 248-49;. SWP, Il, 297).