GEDERAH (gĕ-dē'ra, Heb. gedhērâh, wall). A town on the heights between the valleys of Sorek and Aijalon in the Shephelah of Judah (Josh.15.36, Josh.15.41), also called Gedorothaim (two walls) and Gederoth (walls); modern Jedireh. Jozabad (1Chr.12.4) was a Gederathite. For KJV “those that dwelt among plants and hedges” (1Chr.4.23), NIV has “who lived at Netaim and Gederah.”
GEDERAH gĭ dĭr’ ə
, stone-walled sheep pen
) 1. One of fourteen sites in the Shephelah (lowland hills) listed in Joshua 15:33-36
. Together with Nataim, Gederah is listed as inhabited by clans of skilled craftsmen who served as potters for the king (1 Chron 4:23
; KJV has “hedges” for “Gederah”). Several modern names have been suggested as preserving the ancient name and thus identifying the site. Jedirah (note: “J” is equivalent to “G”), about halfway between Gezer and Zorah, is most frequently suggested but without universal acceptance.
2. Jozabed of Gederah (Heb. Gederathite; 1 Chron 12:4), a Benjamite, would seem to be from a Gederah in Benjamin. Modern Jedireh and Khirbet Gudeira in the territory of ancient Benjamin are possible sites.
3. New Testament Gadara (q.v.) is prob. derived from the same or a related Sem. name.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
ge-de’-ra, ge-de’-ra-thit (ha-gedherah, "the enclosed place"): A town in the Shephelah of Judah, named with Socoh, Azekah, Shaaraim and Adithaim (Jos 15:36). In 1Ch 4:23 the Revised Version (British and American) reads, "the inhabitants of Netaim and Gederah," for the King James Version, "those that dwelt among plants and hedges." It is probably represented by Khirbet Jadireh, about 3 miles Southwest of Gezer. "Gederathite," applied to Jozabad (1Ch 12:4), probably meant an inhabitant of this place.