“Lutheran pulpits for Lutheran ministers only; Lutheran altars for Lutheran communicants only” was adopted by the Lutheran General Council meeting at Galesburg, Illinois, in 1875. It was intended to preserve confessional distinctiveness threatened by practices of some Lutherans that seemed to promote unionism and Americanization. The rule, suggested by president C.P. Krauth, was enacted at Akron, Ohio, in 1872, with carefully worded provisions for exceptional cases. One party within the council demanded an exclusive interpretation of the, without exceptions; another insisted on the understanding reached at Akron. It was finally decided (Pittsburgh, 1889) that the Galesburg Rule had not annulled the Akron statement.