Elealeh

ELEALEH (ē'lē-ā'lĕ, Heb. ’el‘ālēh, God doth ascend). A town always mentioned with Heshon, located about one mile (almost two km.) north of that place, in the tribe of Reuben (Num.32.3, Num.32.37). Isaiah and Jeremiah mention it in prophecies against Moab (Isa.15.4; Isa.16.9; Jer.48.34). The modern site is marked by ruins and is called El Ăh.



International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

(’el`aleh, "God has ascended"):

Lay in the country taken from Sihon and within the lot given to Reuben (Nu 32:3,17 f). "Their names being changed" seems to apply to all the towns mentioned. There is no indication of the other names. Elealeh is noticed with Heshbon in the oracles against Moab in Isa 15:4; 16:9; Jer 48:34. Eusebius (Onomasticon) locates it one Roman mile from Heshbon. It is represented today by el’Al, a mound crowned with ruins, about a mile North of Chesban.