Brigittines

Order of the Most Holy Savior, founded by Bridget of Sweden* at Vadstema about 1346, following the Augustinian Rule. For some two centuries it was organized in double communities of men and women. Members were allowed to possess books for study. Bridget's daughter Catherine* became abbess of the Vadstema monastery, but the order was banished from Sweden in 1595. A new branch was brought back to Sweden by Elisabeth Hesselblad in 1923. Autonomous houses following the original rule survive in Bavaria, Holland, and England (Syon Abbey). In Spain, the “Brigittines of the Recollection” follow a modified rule introduced by Marina de Escobar in the seventeenth century.