ANTIPATRIS (ăn-tĭp'a-trĭs, Gr. antipatris, belonging to Antipater). A city built (or rebuilt) by Herod the Great and named after his father Antipater. It lay on the road between Jerusalem and Caesarea. There is only one reference to it in Scripture, when Paul was taken following his arrest in Jerusalem from that city to Caesarea (
ANTIPATRIS ăn tĭp’ ə trĭs (̓Αντίπατρις). Antipatris was the NT city which occupied the site of the OT Philistine city of Aphek (
The site is marked by the great spring which gives its name to the site. The stream which rises full-grown from this spring is the River Auja, the longest stream W of the. Although its course to the Mediterranean is short, it flows through a fertile plain known as Kaphar Saba. Antipatris was on the main coastal road of Pal. c. twenty-five m. to the S of Caesarea, the capital of Judea. From Antipatris the main road continued S to Lydda, and a branch road went SW to Joppa on the coast. Another road from Antipatris climbed E up the valley of Aijalon and then turned S to Jerusalem.
The only Bible reference to Antipatris is in
Antipatris was the first city Vespasian captured after he moved out of Caesarea to the conquest of the Philistine plain and the approaches to Jerusalem.
C. R. Conder and H. H. Kitchener, SWP, vol. II, 258-262.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
Is mentioned in Scripture only once, in connection with the descent of Paul from Jerusalem to Caesarea (