Preamble and First Commandment
Login to download lecture and curriculum
The First Commandment instructs us about who God is and that we should worship only Him.
Worship in the Old Testament
III. The Ten Commandments (part 1)
A. Two Reasons the Decalogue is Significant
1. Historical Background
2. Exposition of the double commandment (Love God / Love your neighbor)
B. Numbering Systems
1. Reformed / Orthodox
2. Catholic / Lutheran
C. Preamble - "I am the LORD your God ..."
1. Covenant document
2. God's initiation and invitation
a. 1 John 4:10
b. 1 John 4:19
D. First Commandment - "You shall have no other gods."
1. Flows from the preamble
2. God is one.
a. Deuteronomy 6:4-5
b. Isaiah 42:8
c. Joshua 23:6-8
3. Concerned with the object of worship
4. Spoken to covenant people
5. What other gods are there?
6. Meditation on the Torah