Login to download lecture and curriculum
The modern way of life has left the human spirit unsatisfied. Though organized religion has been found deficient, real Spirit-uality remains God’s gracious provision for the soul-hunger of every age. We have introduced a framework for understanding such spirituality – one that highlights its three essential dynamics.
B. The spiritual yearning of our times
C. Spirituality and organized religion
D. What is spirituality?
1. Generic spirituality: Encountering the transcendent and being personally transformed by it
2. Distinctively Christian Spirituality: Encountering the living God and being renewed in Christ-likeness
3. Christian Spirituality is Holistic: Living all of life before God
4. Christian Spirituality is Spirit-uality: Life Lived in the Presence and Power of the Holy Spirit
E. God's original design for human beings: We were created in the social, substantive and functional image of God
F. What is wrong with us now? Our souls have become "curved inward" (Martin Luther), and now suffer from alienation, damage, and meaninglessness.
G. The three essential dynamics of Christian Spirituality
1. The Relational: With God and others
2. The transformational: Toward holiness and wholeness
3. The vocational dynamic (from Latin, "vocare," to "to call": Discovering purpose and meaning.
H. A comprehensive definition
- What would the people in your life say the definition of “spirituality” is? How does generic spiritually differ from authentic Christian spirituality? How would you model Christian spirituality to those who are open to spiritual things?
- How does the truth that we are all created in the image of God affect how you minister to other people? How does our sin continue to affect the image of God in us? What are ways that we can value the image of God in others?
- What are the three essential dynamics of Christian spirituality, and how do they correlate with one another? Reflect on which of these areas you are sensing the greatest need in your own life.
- Spend some time in prayer, asking God to help you in all three areas of Christian spirituality. Ask him to transform your relationship with him and others. Ask him to transform you from the inside out, that you would become who he wants you to be. Ask him to help you as you model Christ-likeness in the world.
A Little Guide to Christian Spirituality: Three Dimensions of Life with God, by Glen Scorgie, pp. 21-35.