Paul and The Westminster Explanation
Login to download lecture and curriculum
Why We Believe the Bible
V. How do we credit Paul’s testimony to be speaking by the Holy Spirit and thus trustworthy
A. Paul’s Testimony and how we credit Paul
B. Paul claimed to teach words that were taught by the Spirit
C. Paul stated that the Old Testament scriptures were inspired and profitable
D. Paul made claims about the universal authority of Jesus
E. How does Paul argue for his own credibility?
1. Claim that he received the gospel message as a revelation from Jesus Christ
2. Talked about his zeal in Judaism and his persecution of the saints
F. Historical Controls to Paul’s arguments
1. Universally accepted that Paul wrote Galatians
2. Evidence of his persecution of the saints was well known
3. Evidence of his zeal for Jewish law was also well known
4. After his Damascus experience, Paul started preaching the gospel of Jesus
G. Reponses to Paul’s arguments
1. Paul has lost his mind
2. Paul is a trickster and a con man
3. Paul is making an honest mistake
4. Paul is speaking truth as an honest man
VI. The Westminster explanation
A. Question 4: How does it appear that the Scriptures are the Word of God?
1. Majesty – Consistently exalted subject matter with which the Bible deals
2. Purity – Undefiled, clean, no contamination
3. Consent of all it parts
4. The scope of the whole, which is to give all glory to God
5. By their light and power to convince and convert sinners, to comfort and build up believers unto salvation
6. Spirit of God bearing witness by and with the Scriptures is alone able fully to persuade that they are the very Word of God.
If you are enjoying this lecture, would you consider making a donation so others can learn from it as well?
BiblicalTraining is a non-profit and relies on its users for support.