Lecture 18: Explorations in Buddhist Apologetics 4
Login to download lecture and curriculum
Buddhism and Christianity have fundamental theological differences.
Penetrating the Buddhist Heart
II. Explorations in Buddhist Apologetics (part 4)
A. Ten Insights from Buddhist converts: an inside view
LECTURE BEGINS HERE:
B. Ten Theological Issues in Buddhism and Christianity in Relation to Apologetics
1. Christ in Buddhism and Christianity: historicity and universality
See, Raimundo Panikkar, The Silence of God: The Answer of the Buddha
2. The meaning of ‘self’ in Buddhism and Christianity
See, Lynn A. deSilva, The Problem of the Self in Buddhism and Christianity
See, Bryan de Kretser, Man in Buddhism and Christianity
3. The role of ‘suffering’ – normative and vicarious in Buddhism and Christianity
See, H. P. Liddon, Essays and Addresses, especially part 1, lecture 2 on Comparisons between Buddhism and Christianity
4. The nature of creation / phenomenal world: ex-nihilio or in-nihilio?
See, Ninian Smart, Buddhism and the Death of God
5. Kerygma Counts: What is the message of Buddhism vis a vis the message of Christianity?
See, Archibald Scott, Buddhism and Christianity: A Parallel and a Contrast, especially Lecture #4, “The Dharma of Buddha and the Gospel of Christ"
See, Tucker N. Callaway, Zen Way – Jesus Way
6. The nature of community: Sangha vs. Church?
See, Archibald Scott, Buddhism and Christianity: A Parallel and a Contrast, especially Lecture #5, “The Buddhist Sangha and the Christian Church"
7. Vocation: renunciation or life in the world: sannyasin or householder?
See, Kenneth J. Saunders, Christianity and Buddhism, especially chapter three entitled, “The Living Forces of Buddhism and Christianity”
8. Karma and Redemption
Self-justification vs. salvation through another
8-fold path vs. personal savior
See, A. G. Hogg, Karma and Redemption
9. Desiring God vs. the emptying of all desire
See, John Piper’s Desiring God for a clear exposition of the redemptive aspect of desire
10. Nirvana vs. Heaven: annicca vs. permanence
See, Raimundo Panikkar, The Silence of God: The Answer of the Buddha (especially, chapter 5 devoted completely to Nirvana)
If you are enjoying this lecture, would you consider making a donation so others can learn from it as well?
BiblicalTraining is a non-profit and relies on its users for support.