Login to download lecture and curriculum
Discussion of the nature and substance of matter.
XI. Primary Matter
A. Five Propositions
1. Primary matter is a substratum common to all substances.
2. It cannot exist by itself, that is, without some form. Therefore it is a theoretical abstraction.
3. It has no distinguishable properties and is thus unknowable.
4. It is eternal; it can never be created or destroyed.
5. It is the ultimate basis of individuation; it is what ultimately sets apart different chairs, desks and people.
B. Historical Examples