Introduction to Hermeneutics (Part 2)
The author of a passage made an intentional effort to communicate a message. It is the job of the reader to determine the meaning and implications of the message by studying the text itself, then evaluating the literary form and other contextual factors.
I. The Roles of the Three Components
1. Meaning is history and therefore unchangeable.
2. The author wills a meaning.
3. Meaning has implications.
1. Share-ability of symbols
a) Norms of language - words
b). Norms of utterance - context
2. Subject matter
1. Must decipher literary form
2. Ascertain authorial meanings of symbols
3. Seek significance